Every year since 1999, Skytrax awards the best airlines in the world in various categories (best low cost, regional, cabin crew…) but the most prestigious one is the “Airline of the Year” award. This year the awards were a bit different due to the global pandemic. The result of this year award is a extended survey that was carried out between September 2019 to July 2021. The final results is the sum of more than 13 millions entries from travellers from over 100 nationalities.
Congratulations to this year winner: Qatar Airways. It has been elected best airline of the year for the sixth time. Singapore Airlines and ANA Airways are completing the podium. To find the first European airlines in the ranking you have to go at the tenth place with Air France. This a significant jump in the ranking for Air France which was 23th in 2019 and 25th in 2018. Air France, which has been hit hard by the crisis, has just published its results for the third quarter of the year, and customers have been quite happy. British Airwars comes in 2nd Lufthansa is completing the podium of Best Airlines in Europe in 2021. In 2019, The German airline has declined compared to 2019 when it was ranked 9th and the highest among European Airlines.
Here is the Top 20 of the 2021 World Airline Award Winners:
- Qatar Airways (Qatar)
- Singapore Airlines (Singapore)
- ANA All Nippon Airways (Japan)
- Emirates (United Arab Emirates)
- Japan Airlines (Japan)
- Cathay Pacific Airways (Hong Kong – China)
- EVA Air (Taiwan)
- Qantas Airways (Australia)
- Hainan Airlines (China)
- Air France (France)
- British Airways (United Kindgom)
- China Southern Airlines (China)
- Lufthansa (Germany)
- Aeroflot (Russia)
- Garuda Indonesia (Indonesia)
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (The Netherlands)
- Turkish Airlines (Turkey)
- Swiss International Air Lines (Switzerland)
- Bangkok Airways (Thailand)
- Air New Zealand (New Zealand)
In the other awards, we can highlight the 3rd place of Aegean Airlines (Greece) in World’s Best Regional Airlines ranking and the 4th place for Vueling Airlines (Spain) in “World’s Best Low-Cost Airlines ranking.