Created by the European Film Academy, this event rewards and promotes each year the best films and actors in European cinema. On December 12, the winners of the 33rd European Film Awards were unveiled. “Another round” from the Danish filmmaker Thomas Vinterberg’s won 4 top prizes during the 33rd European Film ceremony. “Another Round” tells the story of four high school teachers who want to verify a researcher’s assertion that humans are born with a 0.5g alcohol deficiency. They decide to consume the equivalent daily to see the effects.
This film which was released on October 14 won the awards for best film, best director, best actor (Mads Mikkelsen) and best screenplay. The talented German actress Paula Beer won the award for Best Actress of the Year for her performance in Christian Petzold’s “Ondine”. More than 3,800 members of the European Film Academy – professionals from all over Europe – voted for this year’s European Film Awards.
Here is the list of the winners of the main EFA awards:
- Best European Film – ANOTHER ROUND / Denmark, The Netherlands, Sweden (116 min)
- Best European Comedy – THE BIG HIT / France (105 min)
- Best European Discovery – SOLE / Italy, Poland (97 min) – Prix Fipresci
- Best European Documentary – COLLECTIVE / Romania, Luxembourg (109 min)
- Best European Animated Feature Film – JOSEP / France, Belgium, Spain (90 min)
- Best European Short Film – ALL CATS ARE GREY IN THE DARK / Switzerland (19 min)
- Best European Director – ANOTHER ROUND / Thomas Vinterberg
- Best European Actress – UNDINE / Paula Beer
- Best European Actor – ANOTHER ROUND / Mads Mikkelsen
- Best European Screenwriter – ANOTHER ROUND / Thomas Vinterberg, Tobias Lindholm
- Best European University Film Award – SAUDI RUNAWAY / Switzerland (88 min)
Many other awards were given such as best European editing, best costume design… You can see the full lists here: EFA Winners 2020 Winners of the 33rd European Film Awards